I swear to harry my poor sister needs to permanently be put in bubble wrap or in a bubble like bubble boy because this girl is an accident waiting to happen. As a matter of fact she & my cousin Lindsey did get bubble wrap gifts for Christmas one year because they are always getting hurt. So last night at around 8:30 I get a call from my sister which I thought was just her returning my call, but I also thought it was a little strange for her to be calling so soon cuz she had three softball games that night. So she first just answers my question that I had called about and then I hear her getting choked up and this is how the conversation goes:
Angie: "What are you doing tonight?"
Me: "Not much...why?"
Angie: "Because I may need to go to the doctor!"
Me: "Geez, what did you do?"
Angie: "I hurt my arm really bad sliding. I may have disconnected my elbow!"
She slid into the base and in the words of one of her teammates "ripped her shoulder off"...not really sure of what the injury is but here is the story:
So I went to get her from the park (she thought she'd drive home 1st but I kabashed that) and drove her to the doctor. We tried urgent care first but of course it was closed so our only option was the ER and I have to say that for a medical school hospital they were not that good last night. When we saw the ER doc she asked a couple of questions, felt her arm a little and then sent Ang off for x-rays. After the doc reads the films she comes in and says there are no breaks, tells Ang she can have a sling if she wants (duh), that she should buddy tape her fingers tonight (oh yea, she jammed two of them pretty bad), and to follow up with her doctor "I'm sure you have an orthopedic"...what?!?! I said to the doc "what about the pain" and she says oh just take some Tylenol or Ibuprofen and then walks out. At this point I'm like WTF, this poor girl is in A LOT of pain and all the doc says is take an OTC pain reliever and barely checks her arm out!!! The nurse comes back back with her discharge info and I say to him "Can you at least buddy tape her fingers...she doesn't really have athletic tape lying around" (we could have got it but hell she is paying for their treatment the least they could do is treat her) "And what about her pain the OTC meds aren't going to cut it tonight, she won't be able to get any sleep?" (why is it that we have to beg for proper care). He tapes her finger & gives her the roll of tape and then goes to get a script from the doc.
On a lighter note: All I could think about when we were sitting there waiting was the song we all sang as kids: "When you're runnin' in to first and your pants about burst...." (no need to finish for you ;)) and then I made up my own version: "When you're slidin' into 1st and your arm's about to burst go to ER"! (yea well I tried...I never claimed to be a poet)
I was also having fun with her and how dirty she was...I kept calling her Pig Pen because every time she moved she had a cloud of dust around her and left dirt trails everywhere! :)
I think some Docs should have on the their name tag "I'm Doc So & So, I don't care about the quality of your care cuz I just Treat & Street!"

4 comments:
crappy er, but don´t think that it is like that in the us of a alone. i´ve made similar experiences, i.e. bringing football-players into the er on a saturday evening -on a stretcher. they didn´t really care that much. but i can also imagine you going ballistic on the doc.
but you missed to tell us a important part in your story - was it worth sliding into the base? was she "safe" or "out" ;)
I was Safe
What a rockstar player!
Boy you are lucky to live so close to your big sister who is there to take care of you!
Glad your are OK.
@ angela: GOOD JOB:) keep the pictures of this visit at the er and show ´em off before each game to the catcher of the opposing team, mentioning by the way "you should have seen the girl who covered the base" - my guess is homeplate will be always yours (being a german i probably have a totally wrong idea about softball).
Post a Comment