Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mardi Gras here we come...Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!!

Don & I had the privilege to go to Mardi Gras this past weekend with our friend's the Catons, in Mobile, AL (where it all started in 1709). We left early in the morning on Thursday, January 17th and flew into New Orleans. I had never been there before so it was fun for me to see, but I was surprised how dirty/raunchy it is (note to self...never bring the kids). First we ate lunch in the French Quarter at the Acme Oyster House (or should I say they ate...I was WAY to nauseated from traveling) and then we walked Bourbon Street to take in the sights. I was starting feel better after getting some "fresh" air (I use that term very loosely since the air their isn't all that fresh), so we decided to get a little frozen cocktail.

Keith, Kade (he's not really drinking the shot - just good at posing), Sherri & Don...
After that refresher we headed over to see Jackson Square to see the St. Louis Cathedral, which was BEAUTIFUL!
Adriene & I in Jackson Square...

This next photo is a levee that broke during Hurricane Katrina...
From here we headed over to the famous Cafe Du Monde for some very yummy Beignets! After that we decided to get on the road for our drive to Mobile. We needed to get there so we would be able to go to the Float Barn...this is were the Condes load all of their "throws" on the floats for the parade. This was pretty cool to be able to be apart of because it is closed to the public...it's just a party for the Condes & their families. I will post more on this later.

The Conde Cavaliers is the Mardi Gras Krewe that Adriene's dad, Dave Ratcliff "RAT", belonged to before he passed away. He LOVED being apart of this and he was the whole reason that Don I went. Back in September he pretty much begged us to come until we said yes (my dad was so wonderful to come watch our kids so we could do this) and then Dave passed away in October. We decided that we all still wanted to take this trip to honor him...we miss you Dave, but thanks for the memories!

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler...Let The Good Times Roll!!

No comments: