Friday, January 25, 2008

Float Barn

Once we got to Mobile Keith, Adriene, Kade, Kathy (A's mom), Don & I headed off to the float barn...this where all of the floats are stored and where the maskers load their throws for the parade. Like I said earlier, we were very fortunate to be apart of this as only the maskers & their friends and family are aloud to be here. Dave was very well liked by all and they wanted Adriene's family & friends to still be apart of it all this year. Here are some photos of it all....

This is more then likely 1 or 2 guys load of throws. Isn't it amazing! Each guy buys all of these out of his own money and on average spends around $500 on them....

This is Keith & Kade standing where Dave would have stood. Don, Keith, Kade & I were fortunate to be able to go onto 2 of the floats...it's a big no no for anyone other then the maskers to be on them, but they made a special exception for these circumstances. Thanks Mr. Kim & Ms. Kevin for all of your hospitality!!
This rat was coincidentally on the side of Dave/ RAT's float (their theme was "Green Cheese")! That was really awesome that it happened that way....it was meant to be!!!
Here is a photo of the armbands that many of the members wore in honor of Dave (for those Dave's last name is Ratcliff...and has shortened to "Rat" over the years...That is how ALOT of people knew him...simply as "Rat.") Unbeknownst to Kathy & the Catons, they had these armbands made up and were wearing them at the float barn, on the float during the ride and at the ball...it really was an awesome tribute...
The next 4 shots are of the fronts of some of the floats...they are amazing....
Myself next to a sigh on the side of one of the floats (I think it's on the train - the train leads the parade)....Look at how big this head is! Once the roll the float this will be put on top of one of them...

The back of one of the train floats...

Moon Pies anyone! Take note of the potty on the float...they all have make shift pottys...
Once we were done here we all headed to dinner at a local favorite restaurant and the food was great! I did learn that the Southerners do not order their milkshakes with dinner like we do in the north. I ordered mine when I placed my food order & they all looked at me like I was growing another head...they get them for dessert - boring...life is too short - order it with your food! :) We then headed back to Ms. Kathy's for some much needed rest!

No comments: